Slender for Mac is a first person horror game where your only goal is to find 8 manuscripts about the Slender Man, a paranormal creature. It follows a previous game called Slenderman (not available on Mac) based on a similar theme but that was nowhere near as scary or successful.
The myth of Slender started quite simply as a rumor and has also been popularized as an internet meme. The story is that Slender Man is a mythical creature often depicted as a tall, thin figure wearing a black suit and a blank face. According to legend, he can stretch or shorten his arms at will and has tentacle-like appendages on his back. Slender Man can cause memory loss, insomnia, paranoia, coughing fits (nicknamed "slendersickness"), photographic and video distortions and can teleport at will.
The basic premise of the game is the more directly you come in contact with the Slender Man, the faster your sanity drains. You therefore have to careful not to look at the enemy for too long and remember that your flashlight has a limited battery so you must turn it off from time to time to save it. Also, the more you sprint, the lower your maximum stamina becomes, so you must sprint only when you need to.
The controls to the game are simple: Mouse -- Look around W,A,S & D -- Move Left Shift -- Sprint Left Mouse Click -- Pick up pages Right Mouse Click -- Flashlight Q & E -- Zoom in/out Slender does well in creating quite a creepy atmosphere for a very basic game. It feels like just you, your torch and the sound of crickets chirping as you fumble your way through the forest looking for manuscripts. However, the overall aim of collecting 8 pages of the manuscript is quite limited and so the gameplay is a bit limited.
Note that you'll need an archiving tool like The Unarchiver or RAR to unpack this Slender game download. Slender will not perform very well on older Macs too, especially MacBooks from around 2008. If you have problems, try lowering the graphics quality to the lowest setting at the start of the game.
Slender is an eerie horror game that's well worth trying whether or not you've ever heard of the Slender Man myth.
- · Added fog to the woods.
- · Added an option to turn the tree render distance down and turn off the aforementioned fog, for those people
- · who are getting framerate issues with either.
- · Flashlight now swings over to point at a nearby page when close enough to pick it up (instead of the page
- · highlighting).
- · The 'level' of the game (which increases as each page is collected) will raise on its own if you take too
- · long between collecting pages. It does not raise again when the pages are then collected, until it catches
- · up to the effective level. The effective level still maxes out at 7.
- · Added a new hidden mode that unlocks after winning the game. You now need to beat this mode as well in
- · order to unlock the final hidden mode (it will need to be unlocked again for those who unlocked it in v0.9.4,
- · but if you beat the game once in v0.9.4, the new mode will be unlocked as well).
- · Fixed flashlight battery sometimes draining even when it is turned off (rare bug).
- · Fixed a long-standing bug where the static zooms when zooming the camera.